The question from the customer
In 2020, Damen Naval, the leading naval shipbuilding division of the Damen Shipyards Group, signed a contract as the prime contractor for the construction of four MKS180 (Mehrzweckkampfschiff 180) frigates for the German Navy. These ships of the F126 (Fregatte 126) German frigate class are to be the largest surface warships to join the German Navy since World War II.
Our solution and added value
To cope with the technological, engineering, program management and supply chain challenges of this project, Damen requested ADSE to bring in its Systems Engineering (SE) and Technical Project Management expertise. Damen asked ADSE for support to help them with a phased and structured approach to set up and help implement the SE methodologies and tools for the project.
Key activities included:
- Quick scan. Analysis of project requirements based upon the ISO15288 standard, to provide advice regarding the working methods, methodologies, tools and the organization needed for the MKS 180 project
- SE Management plan. Providing a pragmatic analysis and advice for an SE approach and implementation plan for the MKS programme.
- SE implementation support. Our senior systems engineering specialists and consultants provided continuous guidance, advise and support during implementation.
- SE workshops and training. During implementation we executed numerous Systems Engineering basic and detailed workshops on various SE topics, to create awareness and deeper knowledge of SE within the project team, and the supply chain.
- SE tools. ADSE specialist were embedded within the Damen project team, making analyses, advice and implementation plans for specific topics, including advice on the use of SE tools, especially Enterprise Architect or Capella MBSE.
- Requirements management support. ADSE specialists supported Damen engineering (project) teams to write and forward requirements, creating system descriptions (Requirement Management Engineers)
- Configuration management support. ADSE specialists supported Damen engineering project and functional management to set up/adjust SE processes (Configuration Management process definition design and implementation).
- Implementation of SE within Damen. Providing SE advice contributing to the further improvement of the DSNS standard engineering processes, tools and organisation
Interested in what we can do for you? Feel free to contact our Business Development Manager Maritime.
Business Development Manager Maritime